Royal Picture Gallery
Published: 01 April 2012 Modified: 02 April 2012
The Mauritshuis is celebrated for its world famous collection of Dutch masterpieces from the 17th century. You’ll find a unique collection of paintings in this museum, once the home of Count Johan Maurits of Nassau-Siegen.
The Mauritshuis closed its doors on 1 April 2012 for a two-year refit. Some 100 of the museum's most important works of art will go on show temporarily from 28 April 2012 until mid-2014 in a separate wing of the Gemeentemuseum in The Hague while the renovations take place.
The Royal Picture Gallery Mauritshuis is housed in one of Holland's most outstanding classicist buildings next to the Binnenhof in The Hague’s fashionable city centre. The main collection consists of paintings from the Golden Age and a number of paintings from the 18th century. Over the last 200 years the collection of the Mauritshuis has grown from 200 paintings in 1822 to nearly 800 at present.
Paintings by Rembrandt, Vermeer, Jan Steen and Frans Hals form the core of the collection.
While the Mauritshuis is mainly known for its Dutch Golden Age paintings, including the Girl with a Pearl Earring, there is much more to see. How about a wonderful overview of Dutch and Flemish painting from the 15th to the 18th century? From Flemish primitive art to sun-drenched landscapes, from Biblical figures to detailed still lifes and from serene interiors to humorous genre pieces.
From home to museum
The Mauritshuis was named after the man who had it built: Count Johan Maurits of Nassau-Siegen. Johan Maurits was the governor of the Dutch colony in Brazil from 1636 to 1644, during which period this house was built for him. He entrusted the project to the best architects of his day: Jacob van Campen and his assistant Pieter Post.
In 1820 the Dutch state bought the Mauritshuis for the purpose of housing the Royal Cabinet of Paintings. The new museum opened its doors in 1822. It was a state museum until it was privatised in 1995.
Tuesday to Sunday from 11.00 to 17.00 hrs.
Closed 1 January and 25 December
Disabled visitors have the following amenities:
Address & contact
Royal Picture Gallery Mauritshuis
Temporary address (28 April 2012 to 2014):
Gemeentemuseum Den Haag
2517 HV The Hague
Telephone: (070) 302 34 56