Renew driving licence
Published: 17 January 2013 Modified: 07 May 2013
A driving licence is valid for up to 10 years. After it expires, you don’t need to take the test again. Instead, you simply renew your driving licence. We also call this extending your licence.
What is it?
A driving licence is valid for up to 10 years. The document states the expiry date of your driving licence. You are advised to renew your driving licence before this expiry date. You will then receive a new driving licence. What happens if you don’t renew it in time? Then your driving licence expires.
How does it work?
You can renew your driving licence
- before the expiry date
- after the expiry date
Please note! You are not allowed to drive with an expired driving licence. You may only drive again once you have renewed your driving licence.
What are the conditions?
You will need a medical declaration from the Central Office for Motor Vehicle Driver Testing (CBR) in each of the following cases:
- You are aged 70 or older.
- You are aged 65 or older and your new driving licence will expire on/after your 70th birthday.
- You are to be issued a driving licence with a shorter validity period on medical grounds.
You want to renew a driving licence in category C, D or E.
To apply for a certificate of fitness, you will need a Medical Report Form.
Your old driving licence
- You must turn in your old driving licence when collecting your new one.
- Has your old driving licence been lost or stolen? Then bring along a Dutch police report stating that your driving licence has been lost or stolen. You can read all about it under
To obtain a driving licence, you need to meet one of the following requirements:
- You are a citizen of one of the EU or EEA member countries or of Switzerland.
- You have a valid residence permit.
What will I need?
- passport photo
Strict rules apply to passport photos. For example, the photo needs to be in colour and has to be taken straight from the front. A list of all the requirements can be found in Passport photo requirements (PDF).
- valid proof of identity and your old driving licence.
Is your old driving licence still valid as well as clearly readable? Then you may use it as proof of identity as well.
The municipality will verify the authenticity of your valid proof of identity.
What does it cost?
Applying for a driving licence: € 46.50
Expedited application procedure: an additional € 34.10
(Rates for 2013)
Please note: These fees must be paid upfront when you submit your application.
How long does it take?
5 working days.
Do you need your driving licence urgently? Then you may make use of the expedited procedure, in which case you will receive your licence after 1 working day (if the application is submitted before 14.00 hrs.). Additional charges apply to this procedure.
How do I apply / What do I need to do?
- Visit the Department of Public Service desk in person to apply for your driving licence. You may make an appointment beforehand if you like, by phone or online using DigiD.
- You will need to collect your driving licence in person from the sub-municipal office where you submitted your application. This has to be done within 3 months of submitting your application.
- Rijbewijs vernieuwen (Dutch article)
- Driving licence, general information
- Driving licence, Medical Report Form